The Top 10 Movies and TV Shows that defined 1990's Fashion
Posted on 10 January 2017
News Flash: The 90's are back.
If you lived in them, know exactly what that means. But, how do those people who were children during the decade even know what defined 1990's style? Well, since most of us get our clues about vintage fashion from movies and television shows, take a snowy or rainy day and catch up on our top 10 small and big screen favorites that will forever immortalize 1990's fashion.
10. Twin Peaks - A 1990-91 An oh so eerie Woodland Mystery in the misty Northwest.
Grunge meets debutantes (Lara Flynn Boyle and Sheryl Lee)
Sultry slouchy tops (Lara Flynn Boyle)
Sweater Girls (Laura Flynn Boyle and Sheryl Lee)
9. Northern Exposure 1990-95 A small town doctor and the eccentric community of a small Alaskan town.
Oversized lumberjack chic (Peggy Lipton and Mädchen Amick)
Rugged floral country mix (Janine Turner, Rob Morrow, Barry Corbin, Cynthia Geary, John Cullum, Darren E. Burrows, and John Corbett.
8. Pulp Fiction 1994 - An American neo-noir crime film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino
White blouses and All things Uma - doesn't everything she wears in every decade becomes a fashion must? (Uma Thurman and John Travolta).
7. Ally McBeal 1997-2002 Oddball lawyers with style
Monochromatic Minimalists (Robert Downey Jr. and Calista Flockhart).
(Greg Germann, Portia de Rossi, Lisa Nicole Carlson, Calista Flockhart, and Jane Krakowski).
6. My So Called Life 1994-95 Pittsburgh high school emotional teenagers with classic grunge style
Florals with tights (Claire Danes)
Plaid flannel and stripes (Claire Danes and Jared Leno).
Pastels, florals, denim and buffalo plaid (Claire Danes and A.J. Langer).
5. Buffy The Vampire Slayer 1997-2003 Battling vampires and demons in heels
Summer knee high boots , florals, and plaids (Alexander Harris, Rupert Giles, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Charisma Carpenter and Alyson Hannigan).
Mixed patterns, short skirts and animal prints (Alyson Hannigan, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Charisma Carpenter, and Alexander Harris).
4. Beverly Hills 90210 1990-2000 Navigating high school and college life in the right zip code.
Colorful tees, denim, denim and more denim! (Ian Ziering, Jennie Garth, Tori Spelling, Brian Austin Green, Gabrielle Carteris, Jason Priestley, Shannen Doherty and Luke Perry)
Floral shirts,skorts, pastels, ankle socks and yes, more denim.
3. Friends 1994-2004 10 years of friends rotating romances including a chef, a struggling actor, a masseuse, a palentologist and a waitress wearing clothes from designers they could never afford in real life!
Florals, pinafore dresses, monochromatic separates and stripes. (David Schwimmer, Lisa Kudrow, Matthew Perry, Jennifer Aniston, Matt LeBlanc and Courtney Cox).
Ethnic prints and more denim
Embroidered day wear, spaghetti straps and floral ties.
2. 10 Things I Hate About You 1999 - Angsty sibling rivalry and high school romance in quintessential Taming of the Shrew - 90's style.
Belly shirts, platform flip flops and Ed Hardy style prints (Susan May Pratt, David Krumholtz, Gabrielle Union, Andrew Keegan, Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Larisa Oleynik, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt).
And our most influential fashion film pick is..
1. Clueless 1995 - A Jane Austin's Emma as a valley girl in 90's Beverly Hills.
Sheer knee socks and argyle (Alicia Silverstone)
Plaids, vests, and statement cuffs (Alicia Silverstone, Brittany Murphy and Stacey Dash).
Berets, minis, and tartans
Plaid on plaid
A-line minis and untucked shirts with vests
So, go ahead, embrace the 90's - as with all decades, they had their hits and misses, so pick the right trend to incorporate into your wardrobe! Maybes some of these movies and television shows will be just the inspiration you need!
Shop for 1990's vintage clothing at Dressing Vintage!
Iris Lingerie by Sylvia Pedlar - The Dior of Sleepwear
From the many years of purchasing estates of mid century vintage clothing, I've noticed some interesting things that ...
The Evolution of the Wig
On rainy afternoons here in Portland, it is always relaxing to snuggle up by a fire with a hot cup of coffee and dive...
Our Current Vintage Obsession: Caftans
Sometimes, we get obsessed. Sometimes it's a certain color, fabric or pattern, and sometimes it's a particular era o...